Instructions: When math is necessary, show all work and calculations to avoid deductions. In all other questions, state your response clearly and detailed.
1. (10 points). What is the difference between Conservation Laws, Law of Conservation of Linear Momentum, and the Conservation of Energy?
2. (10 points). A ball’s mass is 1.50 kilograms, and it leaves the racket with a horizontal speed of, say, 90 mph. Find the average force on the tennis ball as it is served.
3. (15 points). (a) What is the difference between Work, Energy and Impulse? Give the mathematical equation for all three labeling the different parts. (b) Explain the difference between Kinetic, Potential and Mechanical Energy.
4. (15 points). (a) A 1000 kg car accelerates from 0 to 27 m/s. Find the car’s kinetic energy when it travels 27 m/s. (b) Now consider a 5-kg brick lifted to a height of 1.0 meter above a table. Find the potential energy to the table top. (c) Then, consider the same brick now dropping to the floor which has a height of 2.0 meters. Find the new potential energy relative to the floor. Compare your answers in part (b) to part (c)
5. (10 points). Tell me Newton’s three Laws of Motion. Be Specific.
6. (10 points). Explain the concept of a Collision. What is the difference between Elastic and Inelastic collisions?
7. (10 points). What is the difference between Weight, Mass, Inertia, and Friction?