In this paper, you are asked write an essay critically discussing the Upward communication and senior leader behaviour –the possibilities and challenges of developing an inclusive, open culture within a multinational enterprise. You are directed to use all the relevant resources appropriately that are mentioned below. And present a clear structured essay.
Module Title: Strategic International Business Management
Assessed intended learning outcomes:
On successful completion of this assessment, you will be able to:
Knowledge and Understanding.
To comprehensively evaluate theories of leadership / motivation / change management and their effective implementation in an international context.
To critically appreciate the management of diversity in a cross-cultural context.
Transferable/Key Skills and other Attributes.
Critically analyse and apply key ideas and concepts via comprehensive research relevant both to the subject area and to professional practice in the field.
Use terminology associated with the subject area accurately and in a way, which demonstrates sophisticated knowledge and understanding.
Develop and enhance individually and/or collaboratively effective written and/or oral communication skills for both specialist and non-specialist audiences.
Task details and Firstly, go to the following link: Has the CEO really
instructions: changed or is it business as usual?
1. Scroll down and listen to the 4-minute video by Professor Ed Schein talking about the main issues within organisations today – the increasing interdependence between bosses and subordinates, and the need for better upward communication and a different style of leadership at the top.
2. Read the rest of the article by Paul Levy (Senior Researcher in Innovation Management at University of Brighton) where he discusses CEO behaviour.
3. With Professor Schein’s thoughts in mind, you should engage in additional reading and research in order to write an essay of 3,000 words that critically discusses the following statement
“Upward communication and senior leader behaviour
– the possibilities and challenges of developing an inclusive, open culture within a multinational enterprise.”
Your answer should draw on and make reference to relevant theory in order to address the following points.
- The way that MNEs are changing and the leadership challenges associated with this – 600 words
- The style/s of leadership more likely to facilitate the open culture that Professor Ed Schein suggests is needed – 900 words
- Other factors within MNEs that may hinder the development of such an open culture – 900 words
- What might happen if more distributed forms of leadership were to emerge – 600 words
Via the University of Salford Library:
- ‘The Leadership Quarterly’, ‘Leadership’, ‘Administrative Science Quarterly’, ‘Organization’,’ Organization Science’, ‘The Academy of Management Journal’, ‘The Academy of Management Review’.
- House, R., Javidan, M. & Dorfman, P. (2001). Project GLOBE: An Introduction. Applied Psychology: An International Review, 50 (4), 489-505.
- Javidan, M. & House, R. (2001). Cultural Acumen for the Global Manager: Lessons from Project GLOBE.
Organizational Dynamics, 29 (4), 289-305.
- Javidan, M. & Dastmalchian, A. (2009). Managerial Implications of the GLOBE Project: A Study of 62 Societies. Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, 47 (1), 41-58.
On the Internet:
Word count Your assessment should be 3000 words in total (+ / - 10%).
The word count excludes the following:
- cover page
- contents page